Hay Harmony™ is a blend of high-quality copper, zinc and biotin in a base of stabilized ground flaxseed, rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Hay Harmony™ is designed to help balance the iron content in the average horse’s daily hay ration (or grass pasture). Hay is naturally very high in iron (Fe) with insufficient amounts of copper (Cu) and zinc (Zn), and most horses aren't receiving adequate amounts of the right trace minerals to properly metabolize the large amount of iron from their hay (or grass) each day.
Hay Harmony™ is made with the safest, most bio-available forms of copper and zinc minerals (NO sulfates!). Biotin is included to further support hooves, vital metabolic functions, normal blood glucose levels (potentially decreasing insulin resistance) and more.
- Supports a stronger immune system
- Helps avoid the development / worsening of insulin resistance & laminitis
- Helps avoid hoof abscesses
- Supports shinier, non-faded coats
- Supports stronger hooves (no hoof, no horse!) and much more.
Why is Fe overload / Cu, Zn deficiency a concern?
Excess iron with inadequate amounts of copper and zinc can lead to:
- Development of insulin resistance (IR)
- Worsening of IR
- Hoof abscesses
- Poor quality hooves / slow hoof growth
- An impaired immune system more susceptible to environmental pathogens
- Elevated liver enzymes
- Malabsorption of other minerals and vitamins
- Bone disorders
- Reproductive disorders
- Liver disease
- Potentially Cushing’s disease (changes seen in the brains of horses with Cushing’s are virtually identical to those seen in human brains with iron overload) and more.
The high concentrations of Copper and Zinc result in a mineral or toasted metallic type smell. Coloring should be dark brown with slight reddish hues from the flax.
Depending on the type of hay your horse receives, he may require slightly more or less to meet his individual needs. Horses on alfalfa hay may only require a half dose, however, horses on grass hay will likely require a full dose. Please email us with any questions.