What is Flaxseed?
Flaxseed, also known as Linseed, is an annual plant that’s grown in temperate and tropical regions for its fiber and seeds. The seeds provide nutrition, have medicinal effects, and can be used to make linseed oil paint, while the stem of the plant is used to make linen thread for fabrics. Flaxseeds have been consumed for over 6,000 years, making them one of the world’s first superfoods!
Flaxseed is a great source of dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals such as copper, manganese, thiamin (B1) and magnesium, and plant-based protein. However, flaxseeds are most commonly appreciated for their rich source of anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids (alpha-linolenic acid / ALA). They’re also an excellent source of lignans, which are a very potent antioxidant!
Flaxseed is considered one of the best foods for reducing inflammation, and promoting cardiovascular and digestive health. Our Cracked Flaxseeds are certified organic, human food-grade, full-fat, cold-milled and free of preservatives.
Why ‘Cracked’ Flaxseed?
Cracked flaxseed has been lightly crushed with a hammer mill. This process cracks the seed open enough to allow the nutrients to be available for digestion, but it doesn’t go rancid as quickly as ground flaxseed, because while it cracks the outer shell, it doesn’t destroy the structural integrity of the inner skin and nutrients held inside. It’s a step in between whole flaxseed and ground flaxseed, and takes away the worry of ground flaxseed going rancid and the trouble of grinding down whole seeds for beneficial consumption.
- Rich in anti-inflammatory Omega-3 fatty acids
- Supports a normal inflammatory response
- Helps balance hormones
- Including ACTH, cortisol & insulin
- Excellent for horses with Metabolic Syndrome, Cushing’s disease & Insulin Resistance
- Supports healthy joints
- Minimizes allergies, including sweet itch
- Promotes healthy skin, hard hooves & shiny coat
- Supports a healthy metabolism
- Richest known source of lignans
- Antioxidant rich
- Supports healthy digestion
- Great source of fiber
- Supports a healthy gut microbiome
- Draws debris out of the bowels
- Helps maintain healthy weight
- Nutrient dense
- Highly bioavailable nutrients including copper, manganese, thiamin (B1) and magnesium, and plant-based protein
- Anti-Cancer, Anti-Bacterial & Anti-Viral properties
- Very palatable to most horses!
Ingredients: 100% Organic Cracked Flaxseeds* (Linum usitatissimum), *certified 100% organic by Eco-Cert.
Serving Size: 1-2 scoops (1/2 - 1 c), per day, for every 1,000 lbs of body weight. Please introduce gradually.
Shelf life: 180 days (6.5 months).
Storage: Please store in a cool, dry place, out of direct light.